Friday, March 12, 2021

The doorbell

Ding dong, went the door bell.

I opened the door thinking who might be the unknown guest for lunch. No one.

I close door.

Ding dong.

This time I opened quickly. Still no one. But I heard scuffle of feet up the stairs. I walk to the stairs and look up the well. Two heads bob on 10th and 11th floors.

Ah the neighbourhood kids, regular brats. But I had a smile on lips. These carefree days. How I miss them. Anyway, I glance up again and see one head peeping down from the 14th floor.

I keep the door open. After a while I hear steps coming down. I appear at dooway. The boys might have seen my feet. They scuffle up.

I call out, "Bunty, Come here".Bunty lives on 5th floor.

Silence.

I leave the doorway to attend to my cooking.

Two minutes later, I hear Aunty

A quartet stands there with the most innocent faces on.

They pipe up, " Aunty, we didn't do it. its the new boys Aman and Adhnan." We were just going up to babloos place on 14th floor"

It was nice of them to show up even if it was a lie

I kept a serios face although I wanted to hug these little liars.

"See, " said I," There might be really old people in some apartments. If you play with the bell, it is a great effort for some of them to get up and open the door. Dont do it again."

They nodded. The youngest most.

Off they trooped.


2 comments:

  1. Nice one. I liked the line,”I wanted to hug these liars”.
    This story brought back memories of my visit as a school boy to my elder sister on vacation at Pune. I used to go unseen by the rear door to press the front door bell before running back to the rear door.My sister got annoyed when she had to thrice and warned me not to do again. When the bell rang the fourth time, she hurried with the ladle in hand screaming,”you rascal,if you do it again I will break your head with this ladle” and opened the door to find their baffled postman..After profuse apologies,she brought me by my ears before him and asked me to apologize.The kind hearted post man smiled and went on his way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KP
      Good to see your reply even after this long a gap in my blogging.
      So, you too were a little brat, were you?I can see the sisters face. Poor thing.

      Delete